Sunday, November 9, 2008

Poverty: Social Video Awareness

After discussing our web video assignment in class I was interested in watching some videos to help me brainstorm. I decided to see what kinds of videos were produced on poverty. After watching several videos the best one I found was Poverty The Numbers. This video does a great job at presenting facts with disturbing and realistic depictions of poverty. The video is obviously not done by a filmmaker or someone with a budget but is a good example of amateur video social awareness. It also has the Peter Gabriel song, “Don’t Give Up” which is an awesome song and it fits perfectly with the mood of the video. Here are some of the facts presented in the video, check it out:




35 million Americans live in poverty
18 percent of children live in poverty
45 million Americans live without heath care
1 in 4 American immigrants children live in poverty
1 in 3 minorities live in poverty
3 billion people live off of less than $2 a day
1 billion people can’t read or write
121 million children out of education
30,000 children die of poverty per day and 210,000 per week
America ranks last in a UNICEF report on child well being in developed nations

2 comments:

bradleyf said...

I think that this a great video as well. It is so scary that 18% of the children in America live in poverty. I think that this will be a great video to base yours off of in class. Good Luck!

Cori Brooke said...

I think it is a great idea to look at other videos for inspiration as well. For my web video inspiration, I googled hot topics, watched other videos, and looked to my surroundings. Inspiration comes around when you least expect it. But as far as the Poverty numbers video, its crazy how just a few pictures, music, and facts put together can have such an impact on a viewer. Good research.