Saturday, October 11, 2008

Garage Band

After going through some of the basic features in Garage Band in class on Tuesday, I went home that night and started playing around with the software. As an audio engineer/producer I always use the software Pro Tools by Digidesign and have just used GarageBand for basic sound recordings for songwriting but as I began to amerce myself in it I found it was quite refreshing. It’s nowhere as detailed as a program as Pro Tools but GarageBand has a lot of cool stuff on it. First of all, it has a bunch of different loops and sounds that you can use to create a song. After playing with it for 20 minutes I had created a whole instrumental song with: drums, dance beats, bass, guitar, synths, piano and strings. It was really simple too, just locate the sound file you want and drag it on to a track. The key here is to set it to snap to the grid! Which can be found under the control tab. This way when you move sounds around it will always be adjusted by the right time-frame, meaning that it will always be on the the same beat as the rest of the tracks. Check it out, you’ll be surprised how easy it is.

3 comments:

corinnew said...

Will we get to hear this creation in class?

nspooner1 said...

I spent a month in the Caribbean visitng my grandmother, who has three channels, and no internet access. Needless to say I had only Mac tools to keep my company. I made about 35 one-minute songs with Garageband. They aren't good by any means, but they come on shuffle on my ipod every once in awhile, and it's good for a giggle. I started podcasting on my own a while ago too, but it never really caught on for me. I wanna hear this creation too.

Royal Raven said...

I'll be happy to play the song but everyone has to dance!