Saturday, October 11, 2008

Facebook Privacy

I recently was sitting in class next to my friend and was on my Facebook homepage when she noticed that her info was popping up in my news feed. She was shocked! She had no clue that every picture she posts, every time she is tagged in a photo, and when she talks to a mutual friend that the info pops up in my reader. I too at first had no idea this was going on and have recently stopped all my stupid narcissistic status updates and have taken away information on my profile. As a person who does not believe that the Internet has ever been or ever will be private I have always used a different last name for my profiles. I’m not surprised to hear about all the privacy issues on Facebook discussed in class. It is an Internet site designed for one to spy on another so it’s likely that while its users explore others personal information, its not surprising that the company is allowing other businesses to do the same.

3 comments:

mandimex said...

That totally sounds like what happened to my friend in my blog! Newsfeed must go!

davalos said...

Definitely agree with MandiMex, Newsfeed must go! I hate that any picture that I may post up immediately shows up to as a "status update." I've never like Facebook, nor do I use it often, but when I do, it's extremely irritating to know that any change I do is made public to all my "friends."

Analee Paz said...

HAH! Yeah, that darn Newsfeed. But, honestly, is it not one of the main things that makes Facebook what it is? I agree that the privacy issues go down the drain when you choose to join a social network such as this, but, most of that is primarily due to the default options set for you! I don't think people are as aware or really are cautious of the privacy options they have within Facebook!